Try this sweet, healthy alternative to apple pie on Thanksgiving or any time during the year.
- 6 apples (choose your favorite variety!)
- 1/2 cup raisins and/or dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans (or other nuts)
- 3/4 tsp grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp powdered nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350F. Remove apple cores and peel around core opening. Place apples in shallow baking pan. Stir together raisins, nuts, and zest in a small bowl. Add water and spices to saucepan and heat until it boils. Simmer at low heat for 2 minutes. Fill each apple core with nut mixture. Spoon the hot mixture over each apple. Place pan in oven for 30-35 minutes or until apples are soft. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 c. dry sherry
- 3 c. mushroom stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp. almond flour (or use all-purpose, wheat, oat, rice etc)
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or ghee/butter/margarine as desired)
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté at least 1 minute. (I cook a little longer as I love the caramelized onion flavor.) Add thyme, salt, and mushrooms and sauté about 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are browned. Add sherry and cook until liquid evaporates. Stir in mushroom broth. Bring to a boil and cook until gravy is reduced to about 2 cups (about 14 minutes).
- Whisk together almond flour and water in a small bowl. Add mixture to skillet; return to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in oil (or ghee/butter) 1 tablespoon at a time and pepper.
Join Registered Dietitian / Personal Trainer and Westport Mom, Robin Barrie Kaiden, MS, RD, CDN for 10 weeks to shake off Summer and get back into your Fall schedule and healthy food routine. Whether you want to lose a few pounds, get glowing skin, increase energy, learn simple meal prep tips and healthy recipes, or network with a like-minded group who will help motivate you to reach your own personal nutrition and health goals, this is for YOU!
Here are the details:
- Report your beginning weight and measurements to Robin (instructions will be provided for self-measurement). You can do your own at home or come for a quick visit during Week 1. This will be repeated during Week 5 and at the end of Week 10.
- Enjoy Access to:
- A private Facebook page for our group to support one another and ask Robin questions
- Robin’s Online Meal Planning and Food Journaling program and app
- Access to Robin via email/text for any additional questions/support
- Starting Handouts: Grocery Shopping List, Meal Suggestions, and the Rules of the Plan.
- Weekly: Educational Topics to learn more about Nutrition and Healthy Eating.
- Daily: Recipes, Meal and Snack Ideas, Facebook support
**** This session will run October 8-Dec 17th, and make sure you are in a great, healthy place as you transition into the Holiday Season. The price for the 10 weeks is $400, or $350 for those who sign up and mention Westport Moms!!!!
Email Robin to sign up now! You will receive your online access and the Guides to get going and FOCUS ON FOOD this FALL!
****The cost is HALF PRICE ($200) for clients who have participated in Robin’s groups in the past!! Yes, some of the information will be similar, but you will have access to a new group and continued support/accountability.
Contact Robin with any questions:
Robin Barrie Kaiden, MS, RD, CDN