(Instead of a full glass of wine/champagne, this has half the calories.)
3 oz white wine (Sauvignon Blanc, Reisling, etc), 1 oz club soda, handful of ice, lemon or orange garnish
Pour wine into glass containing ice. Top off with club soda. Squeeze a wedge of orange or lemon and add garnish to glass or rim.
(Instead of the regular, high-calorie, high-fat version, try this one.)
3.5 cups 1% or fat free milk, ½ cup sweetened condensed fat free milk, 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour, ¼ tsp grated nutmeg, 1/8 tsp salt, 2 large egg yolks, ¼ cup bourbon, 2 Tbsp brandy, 1 tsp vanilla extract, extra nutmeg to garnish
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and boil over medium heat on stove, stirring with whisk. Place egg yolks in a bowl and whisk 1/3 of hot mixture into egg yolks. Add everything back to saucepan, stir with whisk and continue to cook on medium heat for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour into pitcher and stir in brandy, bourbon, and vanilla.
- Cover pitcher surface with wax paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with added nutmeg when serving.
This makes 8 ½ cup servings, each at 147 calories and 2.3 g fat.
(Try this fall fruit version instead of the usual sugary one.)
3 cinnamon stick with extra for garnish, 2 chopped honeycrisp apples, 1 orange sliced thin, 1 bottle red wine (light bodied Spanish works well), 1.75 cups apple cider, ½ cup brandy, ¼ cup orange juice (or juice from 2 medium oranges), juice from one lemon, club soda
- Place cinnamon sticks, apples and orange slices into a pitcher. Add wine, cider, brandy, orange and lemon juice. Refrigerate for 6-24 hours.
- Pour into glasses with fruit, and add extra cinnamon stick to garnish as desired.
- Add club soda to taste right before serving. The more club soda vs. mixture, the less calories!