This is a great low-fat alternative to red meat, filled with fiber, and fun for older kids to help create their signature dish while selecting their own toppings. Mom and dad can enjoy a low-carb version by enjoying a taco salad.
Ingredients: Lean ground turkey meat (97-99%), 1 chopped sweet onion, 5 stalks of celery chopped, 1 6-oz can of tomato paste, chili powder, whole grain or corn tortillas, Pam spray or olive oil
- Coat pan/skillet with thin layer of olive oil or spray with Pam.
- In large pan or skillet brown one chopped Vidalia (sweet) onion.
- Add 5 chopped stalks of celery and cook to desired texture.
- Add 97-99 percent lean ground turkey meat (or similar percentage), cooking and stirring until cooked thoroughly and browned.
- Add one small can of tomato paste, more or less as desired.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of chili powder to taste.
- The longer this mixture is simmered, the richer the flavor. Add water if/when needed.
- Shells: Try Ezekial frozen wheat or corn tortillas; heat in pan. Otherwise select a different brand that has all natural ingredients, no sugar, and is low in fat.
- Add 1/2 cup turkey mixture, salsa, chopped tomatoes, and sprinkle of reduced-fat cheese.
- Roll up taco and enjoy! OR try turkey mixture on top of a salad.
****For kids under 12 months, skip the tomato paste and salsa. Go easy on, or skip the spices. Or just add a sprinkle of seasoning (garlic, pepper, etc). Take turkey/celery/onion mixture out of the pan and move to food processor or blender. Add full fat cheese for kids under two years old and beans as long as baby has tried them before. You can serve with small broken up pieces of tortilla or crackers.