This white/yellow dish will appeal to those picky eaters who don’t love their vegetables! It is a high-fiber, lower-fat version of the always-favored mac and cheese. Serve with a salad or green vegetable to balance out the meal.
Ingredients: 1 cup uncooked whole wheat or rice pasta (over-cooked for the little ones; diced penne, rigatoni or elbows work well for finger foods), 1 cup fresh cauliflower finely chopped and steamed, 1 cup yellow squash (or acorn or butternut squash) cubed and steamed, 1 yellow pepper diced and steamed, 1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cook pasta as per package directions. I love using the brown rice shells.
- Steam all vegetables. Make all items softer (steamed for longer periods of time) if you are cooking for younger infants. Adult portions can be removed first and put aside.
- Add all ingredients to a nonstick, cooking-sprayed or olive oiled baking dish.
- Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and/or bubbles and browns a bit.
- Add a small extra layer of cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs for a rich finish, if desired. Broil in oven for additional 10 minutes until top browns.